Thursday, June 23, 2011

6.22.11

I went to karate last night with the intention of training, especially since I skipped class on Tuesday night. So, when I showed up to class last night and saw that the head instructor wasn't dressed out and looked as if he was about to leave, I was curious to say the least. He explained though that it made no sense for 3 instructors to be there when there were only 3 people in class (besides me and the other instructor, there was one adult and two kids) So, he left and turned over the class to Michael. Another concern came to mind though as I realized that there were two little kids and one adult, which to say that combination of students is impossible to teach is an understatement. We began class though and warmed up as usual.

Then, the best thing that could have happened did. Michael asked me if I would teach the little kids while he worked with the adult! I was beyond excited. I taught kids for almost 7 years and loved it. They are the most fun to teach because you can just let go and have fun. Teaching kids makes me remember my time training when I was their age. I remember all the fun I had and all the friends that I met. It makes me remember why I am so passionate about martial arts and whenever I work with them I realize that training doesn't always need to be serious. There are the obvious times where we must be disciplined, but we should also continue to have fun with it so we keep enjoying what we're doing, which can be applied to anything that you do in your life.

I really hope that I can get more involved with teaching around here. I love training,  but (as I'm sure I've mentioned before somewhere in one of these posts) teaching is where my true passion lies within martial arts. It is the best feeling in the world to pass on your knowledge of something that you love to others and to see them grow and become better because of your knowledge and instruction. This is the main reason why one day I would really love to own my own studio.

I'm going to end on a side note today. As Michael was giving me a ride home yesterday, the little fact that I had not been in class on Tuesday came up. While talking about this, he made the comment "Yeah, I was kind of worried you weren't there. My first thought was 'I hope she's not lying in a ditch somewhere.' And I meant to message you on Facebook when I got home, but I forgot." What I took from this: You know you train too much when people start worrying about your well-being after missing just one class in the past 3 weeks. Hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment